Food, Lodging, and Institution
Food, lodging, and institution sanitation helps to ensure the public that establishments operating in Richmond County meet the minimum sanitation standards as required by the NC Department of Environment. Richmond County Environmental Health Specialists routinely inspect all the following establishments.
• Hotels, Motels, Inns
• Restaurants, Food Stands
• Summer Camps
• Meat Markets
• Schools and Educational Institutions, Hospitals, Day Care Centers, Jails
• Nursing and Rest Homes, Residential Care
• Push Carts, Mobile Food Units
Inspections include the establishment's level of cleanliness, food handling practices, and proper food protection during preparation, storage, and transportation. After inspection, the establishment receives a certified card with a Grade of A, B, or C. Each establishment is required to display their Grade Card in a prominent location for the public to view.
New and temporary food establishments in Richmond County must have applicable permits. Inspectors will work closely with owners and management to ensure the quality and safety of food service is compliant with the rules and regulations of North Carolina.
is made on a provided form with submittal of full plans of the facility. Once
plans are reviewed, and approved, a letter is sent to the applicant.
Once construction is complete and the applicant has obtained all building department, zoning, and fire approvals, a pre-permitting inspection is conducted. If the facility has been constructed in compliance with the approved plans and state and local regulations, the applicant will then be eligible to obtain a food service permit.
Permit for a Temporary Food Service Permit
food service permits are issued for events that are a maximum of fifteen days
duration. Inspections are conducted during the event to ensure compliance with
all applicable rules and regulations.
- Temporary Food Establishment Event Coordinator Application (PDF)
- Temporary Food Establishment Exempt Food Sales Application (Popcorn, Cotton Candy, Ice Cream) (PDF)
- Temporary Food Establishment For Profit Application (PDF)
- Temporary Food Establishment Non-Profit Application (PDF)
- Temporary Food Establishment FAQ'S